Upgrade hangs

Hi there,

is there an automatic way, when a pakage refuses to install, if it wants to
overwrite some things of another package ?

Example: x11-common refuses to install, because some files are also used by
the package "opera" and x11-common refused to overwtrite.

My solution: I installed the package x11-common using "dpkg --force-all -i
x11-common-xxxx.deb.

While this is no Problem, other packages cannot be installed this way,
especially essential packages, like libc6, where some links let apt stop
installing. Very carefully deleting the links does work for me. But this
solution is unsatisfied.

Either apt, aptitude and synaptics are stopping, because they say, this is an
error. I did not find an automatic way, to ignore these errors (these are in
my opinion no real errors)

Any hints ?

Best regards

Hans