Re: Running a 64-bit kernel and a pure 32-bit userspace

Fernando J. Rodríguez (Herr Groucho) wrote:

I upgraded my IA32 system's CPU running Debian Etch with an Ahlon64 processor. After tracking the current state of affairs of amd64 on Debian, I concluded it is not worth the trouble of reinstalling the operating system and applications and get issues with OpenOffice, partly mplayer, some binary-only games (Quake4, Enemy Territory), some

Games are fine without a chroot - as long as your 3D hardware behaves (e.g. i play Quake 4 fine)

proprietary applications (Skype, Cross Over, Flahs plugin), and some proprietary kernel drivers.

I also dislike very much the idea of having a 32-bit chroot for those applications, so what I would like to have is a "standard" 64-bit kernel capable of runing both 32-bit a 64-bit applications, and a pure 32-bits userspace (preferably my current Debian Etch IA32 system).

Is that possible and usefull?

I've seen messages on this list from people saying they were running amd64-k8 kernels on 32-bit Sarge [1], but the only "k8" linux-image packages I'm able to find in packages.debian.org are like [2], for the "amd64" dpkg's architecture, so my current i386 dpkg refuses to install it. Are there somewhere "i386" packages of a Linux kernel for AMD64 processors running in long mode? Or even in legacy mode?

dpkg -i --force-architecture somekernel_amd64.deb

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/10/msg00769.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-k8

Thanks in advance,

Please CC: me in replies, because I'm not (yet?) subscribed to the list.