Re: SATA problem with x86_64 install CD

Nima Talebi wrote:

Gday,

I've downloaded and attempted to install debian from the debian-31r0a-
amd64-netinst.iso image. Everything is fine up until the point where my
SATA device is not detected. Fedora and ubuntu detect it, and they also
seem to have additional modules available, so I copied those over and
loaded them with no errors, however that made no difference, I still
cant see /dev/sda, fdisk -l comes back with zilch.

While trying to detect the hardware I also get this message which
supports the available list of modules...

The unavailable modules and devices that need them are: ide-mod, ide-
probe-mod, ide-detect etc

I can quite happily compile a kernel that does support all the devices
on this box, but what would the next step be? Surely there is an easier
solution?

Nima

There's no such thing as SATA support. What there is is support for specific SATA controllers - since there's no SATA equivalent to ide-generic.ko

This means drivers like sata_nv.ko (nForce), sata_via.ko (Via boards), sata_mv.ko (Marvell SATA cards), sata_sil.ko (Silicon Image add-on chips), and so on.

Sarge has a 2.6.8 kernel - meaning some of the modules either lack support for recent hardware, or don't actually exist yet.

Chances are, you need an installer with a more recent kernel - Len Sorensen has a 2.6.12 installer, Kenshi Muto has a 2.6.15 installer, and there's always an Etch installer (which can install Sarge in expert mode) - but without specific knowledge of your hardware, it's hard to make a definite statement

--Jo Shields