Re: can I get python (2.4) as 32bit

On Monday 27 Feb 2006 21:55, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Hi,
> this might sound like an unreasonable question:
> BUT I have lots of compiled (numerical) python packages and starting the
> (default) 64bit python cannot use those.
>
> So I was wondering if anybody here had a similar issue and/or knows about a
> python2.4 version (for AMD64)  that is compiled as 32bit

I would have thought it would not be too difficult to translate a compiled
Python program from one architecture for another.  Python is still basically
an interpreted language; the "compiled" form is just more quickly
machine-readable at the expense of human-readability, and the bytecode should
be decompilable.  You might lose variable and function names; but as long as
compiling the decompiler output produces the same resulting bytecode as the
original object code, we can deem the decompiler output equivalent to the
original source.  This should then be compilable under a different
architecture.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk