Music stutters during startup of programs

Hi,

I am experiencing stuttering music playing on my AMD64 Debian machine.
It must be I/O-related because it happens whenever I start a program
(e.g. firefox, Openoffice.org) or copy a large file.

However, I can see no reason for this to happen: I have hardware enough:

My machine is a dual Opteron 248 with 4GB memory on a Tyan 2885
motherboard. I have two different SATA drives, /dev/sda1 has the OS and
the swap partition, dev/sdb1 has /var. I also a 3Ware 9500 SATA Raid5
with 5 disk on which /home is mounted, and where my MP3's are stored.

Is anyone experiencing the same kind of problem? Does anyone know what I
can do to diagnose the botleneck? Or (best of all!) has a sollution?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld