trouble with hotplug on sid

I am running Sid on AMD64 and have been holding off from doing an apt-get
upgrade for awhile, as there seemed to be some problems with KDE and its
dependencies and as a consequence, APT wanted to remove important packages
right, left and centre.  I tried today and was pleased to see that it was not
going to remove any packages as before; however, I get an error with hotplug,
as follows:

adam3:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  adduser akregator amor .....  [stuff omitted] .....  xutils yelp
  hotplug
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 402 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/66.7kB of archives.
After unpacking 8192B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 143638 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace hotplug 0.0.20040329-16
(using .../hotplug_0.0.20040329-25_all.deb) ...
mv: target `/etc/modprobe.d/isapnp-backup/' is not a directory: No such file
or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/hotplug_0.0.20040329-25_all.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/hotplug_0.0.20040329-25_all.deb

I tried `apt-get install -f` which sometimes fixes things.  This time around
it seemed to finish the aborted installation; but when I try apt-get upgrade
again, I get the same error with hotplug.

Do I just need to make the missing directory
/etc/modprobe.d/isapnp-backup/
or is there more to it than that?

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk