Re: Debian ADM64 Etch (testing/unstable) system freeze

Rami Saarinen wrote:
> Anyway, I am glad to inform that yes it really was the memory that was
> causing the trouble. I let the machine run the memtest86+ last night and
> after 10 hours it had found four memory errors. Apparently I was too
> hasty at the first time.
>
> I have one more stupid question: as it may take couple of days for me to
> get the new memory. Is there any way to block / reserve the faulty
> memory area so that it would not be available for use?

If memtest86+ is consistently reporting a few addresses, then you can
use the badram kernel patch:

http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/

I had some very slight stability issues with my machine after I build
it, and memtest86+ reported one memory failure after I ran it for a
while. The problem turned out to be that my BIOS was, for some reason,
setting the memory timing (CAS/RAS/etc. -- I don't remember which) more
aggressively than the values at which the RAM was specced to operate.
So, if memtest86+ seems to be reporting random, sporadic failures, you
might try checking and increasing your memory timings.

-Corey