Re: Debian ADM64 Etch (testing/unstable) system freeze

On Friday 27 January 2006 23:58, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 01:57:59AM +0200, Rami Saarinen wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 January 2006 15:21, Andrew Syrewicze wrote:
> > > I wouldn't rule out the possibility of your processor getting to hot.
> > > The newcastle cores aren't as solid as venice cores, and i hear they
> > > run a little hotter too. I use a venice core and i can overclock the
> > > crap out of that thing. (with a huge thermaltake fan on it of course )
> > > :-P.
> > >
> > > Anyway i would start by checking your cpu temp. I would first check in
> > > BIOS.
> >
> > Froze two times again today. First time I was moving a 2.1 Gb file to
> > another location on the disk and the second time I was doing the same as
> > in the my previous post. This time I was lucky as there was actually some
> > output.
> >
> > First time froze with: "kernel stack segment 0000 [1]"
> > and the second: "general protection fault 0000"
> >
> > Afrer reboot I checked the temperature from BIOS - 32 celsius, so it is
> > not overheating issue.
> >
> > I doubt the memory issue also as I'd expect alternating symptoms like
> > programs crashing etc. not just full system freeze every time. (?)
> > Thanks for everyone for help.
>
> I don't know why you would assume that.  Memory problems can cause
> any/all of these symptoms, but don't have to cause any particular one.
> It sure sounds like a hardware/memory problem to me.

Well, somehow I assumed that if the fault is in memory, it is probably in a
fixed location and there could be variance of which program gets the faulty
part. For example I might assume that typical memory error is that the value
stored in the memory is changed when it is fetched and thus would cause
various symptoms from rampant crashes to system freeze. But then again I am
no memory expert. (Firefox does seem to be unstable at the moment).

Anyway I am going to run memtest seriously this time and I am also trying to
borrow some other memory to see if the problems persist.

Thanks all for help.

--
Rami Saarinen