Re: Debian ADM64 Etch (testing/unstable) system freeze

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
Rami Saarinen wrote:

Well, somehow I assumed that if the fault is in memory, it is probably in a fixed location

Depends on the type of memory problem. Memory problems can cover
everything from "this one certain bit is stuck at 0" (what you're
thinking of) to "the memory timings/voltage/whatever are off, memory
functions as a hardware random number generater as a result."

Yes, very true.

Oh, and memory allocation is not random. The kernel is going to wind up
in a certain spot every time. So will, e.g., init.

Yes. Somehow I ended up thinking that if the fault is in the memory area the kernel uses, the faulty behaviour would be more devastating and would occur more ofter. After all I have ran the system for hours without a problem.

Anyway, I am glad to inform that yes it really was the memory that was causing the trouble. I let the machine run the memtest86+ last night and after 10 hours it had found four memory errors. Apparently I was too hasty at the first time.

I have one more stupid question: as it may take couple of days for me to get the new memory. Is there any way to block / reserve the faulty memory area so that it would not be available for use?

Thanks again for help!

--
Rami Saarinen