Re: nvidia-glx removes x-server???

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:52:40AM -0600, Colin Baker wrote:
> Looks like the official unstable packages are only up to 7174.  I've had
> good luck with the unofficial packages found here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/
>
> Since you are installing the nvidia drivers for the first time, and you
> have Xorg up to date, that would explain why the X packages are being
> removed.  I would try the repository above, which has packages that work
> with the latest Xorg.
>
> Of course, the nv driver always works too.

Hmm, really?  I wonder if my home machine has a newer one from some
other source...  Let me check: No, i386 unstable contains 8178, so it is
just amd64 that is way behind.  Someone should update the unstable
non-free on amd64, since I don't think there is anything in place to do
that automatically.

If you add a 'deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid non-free' to your
sources.list, you should be able to do this:

apt-get update
apt-get build-dep nvidia-glx
apt-get source -b nvidia-glx

Then use dpkg -i to install the resulting .deb files.

Then finally 'm-a -t prepare;m-a -t a-i nvidia' to build the modules
for your current kernel.