Re: nvidia-glx removes x-server???

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:02:07AM -0600, Colin Baker wrote:
Andrew Syrewicze wrote:
Hey everyone. Having a wierd problem here.

It's been awhile since i've run debian unstable, but i missed the updated packages and what not. Anyway, My install went as clean as usual, and i used module assistant to set up my nvidia driver. When i run apt-get install nvidia-glx it installs the package just fine, but it also removes all basic X packages. Packages like x-window-system x-server-xorg and x-window-system-core.

Is this a problem with unstable right now, or is it a kernel thing??? I'm running with a 2.6.15 kernel. Any Ideas???

     -Andy
I'd say it's probably an issue with unstable. If you run an apt-get upgrade (prior to the nvidia-glx package being installed), does it mention any packages being kept back?

Has the nvidia packages even made it into amd64?  Are they up to date?

Len Sorensen

Looks like the official unstable packages are only up to 7174. I've had good luck with the unofficial packages found here:

http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/

Since you are installing the nvidia drivers for the first time, and you have Xorg up to date, that would explain why the X packages are being removed. I would try the repository above, which has packages that work with the latest Xorg.

Of course, the nv driver always works too.