Re: Anyone willing to seed sarge amd64 isos?

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 02:47:18PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> wget uses persistent connections for every 10 files for jigdo, and the
> overhead is maybe 100bytes per file.

The overhead in data size is insignificant. The processing overhead
(parsing several thousand HTTP requests, looking up & opening several
thousand files instead of just one on both the server & client side, and
building the image on the client side) is not.

> Well for that it is very good.  It also doesn't use any outgoing
> bandwidth, or depend on other people to be doing something special.
> Much more reliable that way.  I find it no problem to saturate a decent
> connection with jigdo, although upping the 10 files at a time does help.

The bottleneck to the nearest mirror is our local 100MB/s ethernet network,
and still Jigdo was 2-3 times slower than downloading a single ISO from
the same mirror.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences