Re: Anyone willing to seed sarge amd64 isos?

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 02:16:40PM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> Well, in the past I had quite the opposite experiences. Jigdo downloads
> a lot of small files, and one extra HTTP query per file presents a
> _huge_ overhead. Downloading an image with jigdo is at least 2-4 times
> slower than downloading the single ISO image from the very same mirror.
> The interesting effect is that the faster your network connection the
> bigger the difference in speed will be.

wget uses persistent connections for every 10 files for jigdo, and the
overhead is maybe 100bytes per file.  There are not very many files in
debian where this will work out to more than 1% overhead.

> You can help somewhat if you increase the number of files to process in
> a batch (back when I played with it I had to edit the jigdo script for
> this; I don?t remember the numbers but about a 10 times increase
> noticably reduced the download time).

So change it to do 100 files at a time.  The few seconds for each batch
of 10 for the connection certainly could add up, and the persistent
connection used longer could help that.  Increases temp disk space
slightly of course.

> Jigdo helps only if you already have an older version of the image and
> there are not much updates.

Well for that it is very good.  It also doesn't use any outgoing
bandwidth, or depend on other people to be doing something special.
Much more reliable that way.  I find it no problem to saturate a decent
connection with jigdo, although upping the 10 files at a time does help.