Re: new kernel too big for lilo

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:25:00PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:22:01AM +0800, zzz haha wrote:
> > > After configure, just use these three command to build the kernel :
> > > $ make
> > > $ make modules_install
> > > $ make install
> >
> > for a personal computer, and for one who can make menuconfig, i agree
> > the debian way does not seem to add too much value.
>
> Being able to uninstall is a big value.  Being able to use module
> assistant to build add on modules is nice too (although that doesn't
> technically need you to do it the debian way, but it works a bit
> better).
>
> The ability to cleanly uninstall is the main thing.  Avoiding accidental

Not to mention proper versioning; "make install" will overwrite
/vmlinuz, while installing a new kernel package will simply add new
entries to your GRUB configuration.

The manual commands aren't handling the initrd either. Still, the initrd
is not important if you customised the whole kernel configuration.

Proper versioning also means you can have matching versions of other
modules for each installed kernel (nvidia, wifi etc) and still switch
back and forth between kernels if necessary.

The Debian method is not complicated so I'm surprised at the resistance.
The command is simply

fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image [--revision foo] --initrd
sudo dpkg -i ../kernel-image...

I've found in recent times that I rarely need to compile my own kernel
anyway. I think I'm running stock kernels on my three machines at home
now.

Hamish