Re: new kernel too big for lilo

On Thursday 05 January 2006 01:52, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> On 1/1/06, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hamish said that there is rarely a need to compile your own kernel
> with Debian. I think I must have missed something. Is there a ways to
> do a simple 'apt-get install new_kernel'? I did a google search for
> something like 'debian kernel install', but all of the hits described
> compiling your own new kernel.

I'll contradict Hamish, but then I don't really like the debian-kernel method
(especially the stupid and irrelevant warnings it always give me)

If you already compiled your kernel yourself, there is no need to use debian
tool to do it.

After configure, just use these three command to build the kernel :
$ make
$ make modules_install
$ make install

"make install" will copy the correct version of the compiled kernel (you were
using the uncompressed kernel, which doesn't boot anymore) to /boot

After that, you can add an entry to your boot method of choice. I recommend
grub.

Surfing in the Japanese Alps sound good.

Cheers,

Ernest.