Re: DualCore Dual-Opteron Board - suggestion?

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:08:40PM +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> >No clue personally, just seems amusing given supermicro I believe is the
> >company that doesn't even want to admit to making AMD compatible boards.
> >:)
> maybe it changed (see below)
>
> >You can go through their website looking at models and they only
> >mention intel cpus.  once in a while you can click on something, like
> >say the SC812S-420C in the chassis section, clearly labeled as DP Xeon /
> >EM64T in the chart, but once you go to the details of it, you discover
> >that amazingly it apparently can also be had with opterons installed.
> >About the only way to find anything non intel, is by random clicking,
> >or doing a site search for opteron.  They sure aren't trying to get you
> >to buy their opteron offerings.  Maybe that would make intel mad at them
> >or something.  I wonder if they have any experience dealing with opterons
> >yet?  I wonder what the service would be like if there is a problem in
> >the bios.
> well i think that there is some information:
> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/
>
> the truth is, that tyan is our favorite :) it's classics after all...
> and has sata...
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8sdpro.html
> however, the question is when it will be available - not possible to get
> it in czech republic, nor in germany...

maybe there is a shortage because dell is buying them all up.  word on
the street is that dell is going to starting selling amd64 systems early
next year.  i guess customer pressure can affect change.

anyway, it sounds like what you need is a good contact in the US.  ~:^)

Cheers,