Re: DualCore Dual-Opteron Board - suggestion?

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:00:21PM +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> we planned to have dual core dual opteron machine with tyan mobo.
> however tyans are not available at the moment (and this situation will
> last at least till the end of the year). we were offered supermicro
> h8da8 mobo. does anyone have any experience with it, or should we wait
> for tyan?

No clue personally, just seems amusing given supermicro I believe is the
company that doesn't even want to admit to making AMD compatible boards.
:)

You can go through their website looking at models and they only
mention intel cpus.  once in a while you can click on something, like
say the SC812S-420C in the chassis section, clearly labeled as DP Xeon /
EM64T in the chart, but once you go to the details of it, you discover
that amazingly it apparently can also be had with opterons installed.
About the only way to find anything non intel, is by random clicking,
or doing a site search for opteron.  They sure aren't trying to get you
to buy their opteron offerings.  Maybe that would make intel mad at them
or something.  I wonder if they have any experience dealing with opterons
yet?  I wonder what the service would be like if there is a problem in
the bios.