Re: [SPAM] Re: why is amd64 still separate?

Regarding: Except that the first I described sounds an awful lot like
Ubuntu ...

Warning: Newby to this list, and new owner and experimenter with an HP
Pavilion zv6201cl (AMD64 Athlon 3200+ (2.0 GHz), with 512 MB RAM).

Yes, that does _sound_ like Ubuntu. I have discovered there must be some
secret sauce with which the Ubuntu people douse their releases. I have
found it impossible to set the network interface to default to the
dial-up (ppp0) using the Gnomish "Networking" applet. Then trying to
drill down to the /etc/network/interfaces file does not work either. My
next try will be to hack around with the pppd configuration files.

So, I would expect the Debian releases to be without any secret sauce.
Except for hardware differences, I would expect the releases for each
architecture to adhere to the FHS and be similar in methods of
configuration. I am still having difficulty wrapping my brain around the
change to resolve.conf (/etc/resolvconf/...), but I think I understand
the goal from the reasoning set forth in the documentation.

Regarding splitting the archives: it has taken eight days (640 kb/s DSL)
to build my local Debian AMD64 mirror. I also keep a local mirror for
the i386 architecture. I use these mirrors to install and update half a
dozen computers. It is much faster than the Internet even when I have a
DSL or cable connection.

So far, I have installed a Debian release about five times on the HP
laptop since I bought it on the 25th of November. After the third
attempt (from the Internet DSL) I decided I needed to mirror the AMD64
distribution. I will probably keep them separate locally on my external
USB hard disk.

I did not want to mirror all the architectures because of the time it
takes to keep it up-to-date. I have been doing an up-date once a week,
but AKLUG now has a mirror for several distributions which may include
Debian, so I will be able to update faster once a week.

There are many i386 boxen and a few amd64 boxen around here in the
Alaska Linux Users Group (AKLUG). The Macintosh folks seem to be
satisfied with OSX and do not come around to our meetings. No one I know
has an IBM 360, ARM, or any of the other architectures with the
exception of reports of ancient Sun workstations in use.

I might combine the i386 and amd64 mirrors in the future when the amd64
distribution hits the regular mirrors. In any case, I am delighted with
Debian, and I am looking forward to seeing the amd64 included as a
regular distribution.

Gruess!

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing