Re: ISO Burning problems

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:26:17PM -0600, Mike Reinehr wrote:
> I ran into this the first time that I burned a DVD image of Libranet's new,
> 3.0 release. Growisofs output indicated a successful burn, but the new image
> failed the md5sum test. I finally noticed that the dvd image was several
> kilobytes larger than the original image. Eventually, using dd & od I
> determined that the difference appeared to consist of several blocks of
> binary zeros appended to the end of the original image. As a test of this
> theory, I used dd to truncate the extra blocks and the resulting image passed
> the md5sum test.

cd and dvd are supposed to be padded at the end with zeros.  Reading
them raw is not supported since there is not official end to the track,
only the filesystem knows how far to expect reads to work.

The correct way to verify a CD/DVD is to compare the contents in
general, or to use readcd or equivalant specifying the number of blocks
to read to match the original size.