Re: ISO Burning problems

On 14:46, Tue 06 Dec 05, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:26:17PM -0600, Mike Reinehr wrote:
> > I ran into this the first time that I burned a DVD image of Libranet's new,
> > 3.0 release. Growisofs output indicated a successful burn, but the new image
> > failed the md5sum test. I finally noticed that the dvd image was several
> > kilobytes larger than the original image. Eventually, using dd & od I
> > determined that the difference appeared to consist of several blocks of
> > binary zeros appended to the end of the original image. As a test of this
> > theory, I used dd to truncate the extra blocks and the resulting image passed
> > the md5sum test.
>
> cd and dvd are supposed to be padded at the end with zeros.  Reading
> them raw is not supported since there is not official end to the track,
> only the filesystem knows how far to expect reads to work.
>
> The correct way to verify a CD/DVD is to compare the contents in
> general, or to use readcd or equivalant specifying the number of blocks
> to read to match the original size.
>
> Len Sorensen
>

> --

What I don't understand is why all the fuse, I thought you
were supposed to check the md5sums after you downloaded them
from the source. Once you have them verified then you know
it's clean, and a proper source.

If you then burn them, or use them or modify them on your
computer then its a totally different story. The only
exception might be a rootkit, but that is somewhat out of
character of a root kit, as they usually want to control the
local machine, and not modify itself to change how a dvd
burn works.

I must admit that using diff, and your other suggestions for
the list was a good refresher of cmd line tools. I never did
like k3b that much, everytime I used it it give's weird
results or crashed.  So I stuck with growisofs, and the
other basis tools that all the gui's depend on.

Gnu_Raiz