Re: Hello! from a newbie+ problems with debian for amd64+can't boot debian for i386 on amd64 from cd+can't extract sbm.bin from cd

Hi!

I've just followed your advice and it seems to have worked (the DHCP detection was successful) but I still can't connect to the internet ;(

I'm a bit lost because the installer keeps asking me about ppp configuration, my modem and the ISP phone number, but that's not the right thing, because I use a router, which is already working and I can connect to the internet through another computer.

The AMD64 netinst installer didn't ask such questions, but the i-386 netinst installer does.

I tried ignoring the ppp configuration, but then apt-get can't connect to the mirrors (temporal error). Maybe what I need is a PPPoE configuration?

 http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/pppoe

Besides:

1)  I was unable to use dmesg | less (it said something like " less: command not found" ) but dmesg | more did work. It may well have been my fault, but I'm commenting it just in case.

2) I shrunk the old AMD64 partitions by using Parted. Is there a way to do that from the installation menu? I  just think it would be quite useful.

3) I don't know whether this is getting off-topic for this list. I'm sorry if it is.  In general, I'm not quite clear about when to reply to the author and when to reply to the list. Is there an established policy, netiquette or tradition about this?

Thanks again and regards,

Martin