Re: Printer problem with cups

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:55:04PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> I had the same problem, also with an Epson printer.  Unfortunately,
> I can't help, as I never undertood what was the problem; it just
> happened when the printer was switched off. Then CUPS couldn't
> find it anymore, even when it was re-regitered as a USB device...
> Did you try restarting CUPS?  Even then sometimes it didn't work
> for me until I "reinstalled" the printer with the CUPS web interface.

If you boot with the printer off, cups won't find it since the usb
device is not there.  This leaves the printer set to disabled but still
queueing jobs.  The enable command allows you to start the queue again.

I too have had to restart cupsys in the past when the printer was off at
boot.

It seems you really want the printer on when cups starts so that it can
find out which usb device it is.  Not sure there is any better solution
than perhaps making udev/hotplug restart cups whenever a printer appears
or disappears from the usb ports.