Re: [hendrik@topoi.pooq.com: Is the AMD-64 ready for reliable use? (possibly on K8V-MX moptherboard)]

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 02:20:56PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:34:29AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > I'm considering buying a box and putting the AMD64 port of sarge
> > on it.
> >
> > I can see lots of problems with the AMD64 port on the mailing
> > list, but that doesn't make it clear whether troubles are normal
> > or unusual.  Very few happy users ever write in to say how happy
> > they are,
> >
> > I have had it proposed to me that I might set up a server for
> > my LAN (not the internet gateway) as a Sempron system running
> > Linux.  Specifically, an Asus K8V-MX Athlon 64 motherboard,
> > an AMD Sempron64 2600, 512 meg DDR PC-3200 w/o ECC.
> > to quote from the quotation.
> >
> > My question is, is the Debian AMD64 platform ready for such use?
> > Presumably I'd be using the unofficial sarge release ... or has it
> > become official in the meantime?  Or is etch actually more reliable right now?
>
> The amd64 distribution for the most part works perfectly.  The reason
> you see many problems is that amd64 systems are constantly coming out in
> new versions, while i386 systems are pretty much history as far as new
> systems are concerned.  The people with these new amd64 systems have the
> same install problems on i386 as they do with amd64 since it is just a
> matter of new hardware not being supported fully by the kernel on the
> installer.
>
> There are also a few issues with some programs that are sloppily written
> or tried to use "clever" optimizations which are not 64bit clean.
> Things such as openoffice.org, and a few other programs fall into this
> category.
>
> Of course things that require binary only code (win32 codecs for example
> for playing back some videos) don't work in 64bit.  Those have to run in
> a 32bit chroot instead.  Not usually a big deal, and if you don't intend
> to watch videos without open codecs, then no problem.

I've heard that with the 64-bit kernel you can run 32- and 64-bit code
mixed -- although presumably not within a single executable image.  How
are the shared libraries organised so that each executable gets its own
kind of libraries?  Wouldn't there be trouble with mname collisions and
the like?

-- hendrik

> Of course you do have the option of just running i386 debian on the
> system and it will still be very fast.  The majority of programs don't
> gain that much performance going 64bit.  It is a trade off.

I'm writing software which will have to go 64-bit on 64-bit platforms.
If for no other reason, I'll have to run it in 64-bit mode to
test their 64-bit cleanness.

-- hendrik