Re: Printer problem with cups

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:55:04PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> > I had the same problem, also with an Epson printer.  Unfortunately,
> > I can't help, as I never undertood what was the problem; it just
> > happened when the printer was switched off. Then CUPS couldn't
> > find it anymore, even when it was re-regitered as a USB device...
> > Did you try restarting CUPS?  Even then sometimes it didn't work
> > for me until I "reinstalled" the printer with the CUPS web interface.
>
> If you boot with the printer off, cups won't find it since the usb
> device is not there.  This leaves the printer set to disabled but still
> queueing jobs.  The enable command allows you to start the queue again.
>
> I too have had to restart cupsys in the past when the printer was off at
> boot.
>
> It seems you really want the printer on when cups starts so that it can
> find out which usb device it is.  Not sure there is any better solution
> than perhaps making udev/hotplug restart cups whenever a printer appears
> or disappears from the usb ports.

I have tried:

1) # /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

not working

2) # /etc/init.d/udev restart

not working

3) again # /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

not working

I use my printer rarely, and I don't need to keep it in a lan, and so
I would like to know if there is an alternative to cups, more
"plug'n'play" for single pc and single printer...

Thanks,
Giulio