Re: installing amd64 kernel

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:06:05AM -0500, Aaron Stromas wrote:
> I received a number of advices on installation of my AMD Athlon 64 machine.
> This far I only was successful with (K)ubuntu. At one time I thought I got
> the Debian daily installer to detect my built-in nVidia Ethernet, but I was
> wrong. I've burned too many CDs and I was actually booting off an Ubuntu CD.
>
> I submitted a bug and received a response that network detection isn't
> supported due to inability to detect the PCI ID. I was also advised to try
> Etch, however, I wasn't successful with the daily image. Isn't it Etch?
>
> Len Sorensen pointed out the motherboard is supposed to have two network
> ports. Turns out it's true, except the second port is FireWire. The Ubuntu
> installed picked it out. I have never used Firewire networking, nor do I
> have a cable for it, so I'm going to ignore it for now.

Which exact model is your board again?  THe A8N-SLI Deluxe certainly has
the ports I expected as confirmed by someone else on the list.  Is there
a none Deluxe version with only the nvidia port on it?  The Premium is
just like the Deluxe but has software control rather than the flip board
to control the SLI setup.

> Here are a couple of question I have for the list. I initially did Kubuntu
> server install and ended up with no root (sudo passwd!) and one root huge
> (79G) partition and a 3G swap partition. The I attempted to do an expert
> install, found a multiseat option which created several partitions for me.
> Unfortunately, it failed to install GRUB (and LILO), so I have to redo the
> installation hoping for the best. The installer creates ext3 filesystems.
> I'd like to try the reiserfs. Can I do that at the install time? I also
> didn't see how I can adjust partition size, not how to create additional
> partitions within the installer. Is that possible? I remember that last time
> I installed debian, I ended up creating only root (and swap), then,
> after finishing the install, I manually created partitions and filesystems
> for /usr, /var, /home and the rest and edited fstab. Should I go that way?
> Except, I can't remember whether I have an option to create only a
> small root.

I wouldn't recommend reiserfs.  I tried it before and ended up spending a
lot of work converting to ext3 when the bugs became too painful.  ditto
for xfs under 2.6.3 - 2.6.9 (which is when I gave up on it).

> Finally, assuming I succeed in setting up the system the way I like, can I
> simply edit the sources file to return back to the Debian fold?
> Thanks in advance,

No.  To run debian, you install debian.  You might be able to
transition, but then again some stuff may not work and it will never
officially be a debian system and you are likely to run into trouble
getting help from people if a few odd traits are left over.