Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 03:29 pm, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:00:11 +0100, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > d-i can do software raid1 just fine.  Just don't try to setup the
> > fakeraid in the bios, it won't use that, and you don't want to either.
>
> Thank you very much.
> As for LVM I am not really sure I want to use it, mainly because I haven't
> really understood it yet. I should read the LVM howto probably :)
>
> As this will be my first RAID setup, I guess I'll just stick to one thing
> at a time.
> Again, thanks for your advice!
>
> --
> Best Regards, Jack
> Linux user #264449
> Powered by Debian PPC

Jack,

You really should take Lennart at his word and spend a little time learning
LVM (LVM2, actually). It's really not that hard to set up. It took me only a
couple of hours or so for my first LVM installation and that included reading
the man pages and some online help. Of course, I've only scratched the
surface of what's it's capable of doing. For me, the attraction was the
ability to dynamically adjust file system sizes, without having to shutdown,
backup, repartition, restore, etc., etc., ...

Cheers!

cmr

--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----