Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:14:48PM +0100, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> Hi there list,
>
> I am planning to buy me a new system based on an AMD64 X2 3800+ and an
> ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
> I have read that the latest sid installer should be able to use the
> onboard NIC, but anyway I have a spare RTL8139 for the installation
> process.
> The thing that troubles me is that I'd like to setup a RAID 1 with two
> Hitachi SATA drives: will the d-i be able to make it or should I take some
> particular precautions?
>
> Thanks for any advice you'd be able to give me before forking my money out!

d-i can do software raid1 just fine.  Just don't try to setup the
fakeraid in the bios, it won't use that, and you don't want to either.

The way I tend to do it is:
make 3 partitions on each drive (identical) like:
sda1/sdb1 128M (for boot raid1)
sda2/sdb2 10G (for root raid)
sda3/sdb3 remaining (for LVM raid)

Then I switch to the setup md software raid part of the partitioner and
setup each of the 3 raids (so md0 for boot, md1 for root and md2 for
LVM) and set the use for of each to ext2, ext3 and LVM respectively,
then I enter the LVM setup and create a logical volume for swap, one for
/home and various other places I want, setting them all as ext3), and
then I exit the partitoner and I am all done.  I think the installer
might get confused if you don't finish the lvm setup before you select
the use and filesystem type of the other two raids.  Slight ordering
issue, but I may remember wrong.