Re: Suggestions for a new AMD64 system

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:29:20PM +0100, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> Thank you very much.
> As for LVM I am not really sure I want to use it, mainly because I haven't
> really understood it yet. I should read the LVM howto probably :)
>
> As this will be my first RAID setup, I guess I'll just stick to one thing
> at a time.
> Again, thanks for your advice!

LVM allows me to resize my "partitions" if I need to without the issue
of moving the others around since LVM doesn't care about physical
location of blocks.  If I shrinkg one volume I can expand another no
matter where they are physically stored in the LVM, while with
partitions you can only do this with adjacent partitions.  I can also
add more disks to the LVM later and expand existing partitions to start
using the space on the new drives.

I like the flexibility.