Re: Intel SE7230 + ICH7

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:43:49PM +0000, Tony Power wrote:
> I tried:
> Sarge / Etch Net-Install AMD64 / i386 / IA64
> Sarge / Etch CD-Install AMD64 / i386 / IA64
> All of them are recent, not more than a week.
> Of those, only IA64 doesn't boot.

It shouldn't.  IA64 is itanium.

> The others boot, but don't detect my drives (2x180 Sata drives that I want
> on RAID 1).
> I even tried SID i386, net-install (2005/11/19), but it didn't have any
> kernel modules on cd.
>
> Does that board have a hardware raid at all? Intel's ICH7 certainly
> > doens't do hardware raid. It does do fakeraid, which is not supported
> > nor recomended (For performance and reliability reasons).
>

> That's bad news for me because a thought it has hardware raid.
> Well, there are drivers for Linux:
> http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7230NH1-e/index.htm
> Only they are for RedHat or Suse.
> Can you give me a suggestion?

Disable raid in the bios, and setup software raid in linux.  It is a
better solution.

Hardware raid isn't cheap since it involves a dedicated cpu to do all
the work for the raid (although for raid1 that isn't much at all).
Faking it with the bios and the drivers isn't any better than doing it
straight in software in linux, and at least then you can see what is
happening and control it, and it is portable to other systems unlike the
fakeraid setup which usually won't work with any other controller.

The installer might even see the drives when the controller is back in
it's native sata mode.  Well at least the etch ones might, the sarge one
might not.

Make sure to boot the 2.6 installer kernel on sarge, not 2.4.  No chance
of 2.4 working on that new a system.