Re: RAID

Corey Hickey wrote:

> Compared to constant operation, it would certainly be worse to turn a
> hard drive on and off with a period of one minute, and it would be
> better with a period of one year; I just don't know know at what point
> on the continuum once per day lies. Is it better or worse? Since this
> thread is somewhat off-topic anyway, does anyone care to venture a guess?

I'd guess that desktop hard drives are designed to be spun up and down
many, many times; consider, for example, the effects of power saving
which can easily spin down and up the drive multiple times per day.

I also seem to remember at least one vendor of desktop drives raising a
stir by adding being off eight hours per day into their warranty terms.