Re: RAID

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:19:30AM -0800, lordSauron wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Colin Baker <colin@colinbaker.org> wrote:
> > For what you would end up spending on such a card, you're probably
> > better off just buying a faster hard drive.
>
> So I'm really going to be in the neighborhood of ~$100 USD or more for
> the card alone?
>
> Well, a faster HDD won't help much, since I can only go up to SATA150
> without buying a better controller card.  However, if I can RAID 0
> some cheap drives together, that'd be great, since I could have a
> bigger drive and faster.
well...todays hdd's arent as fast as the bus...
so there are for example the Western Digital Raptor drives which are
faster than some other drives...
and also the the controller makes a difference (not only for raid, also
for single disc performance)
as far as my expierence is with raid0 with 2 40GB seagate ide hdd's it
desnt make that mauch of a difference for random reading small files,
only for big files (viedos, ...)...

> So, if I were to get two SATA150 drives, plug 'em into my box, and
> shove in the Debian Sarge amd64 install disk, how easy would the
> install be?  Could a dolt like me (as in not terribly command-line
> savvy) get through with only sub-fatal injuries?
last time i checked there was a option in d-i (at least in expert mode)
for settion up ad linux software raid...so it should be such a problem
(havnt tried it though, i use raid1 only for my homedir and some
important data...irrelevant at install time

yours
Albert

--
Albert Dengg <a_d@gmx.at>