Re: Software RAID, LVM, and LILO on amd64 sarge

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 04:20:59PM -0600, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
>> After discovering that the amd64 Debian Installer netinst images have
>> been broken recently, I retreated to sarge.
>>
>> At first glance, I was having pretty good luck, but I ran into a snag
>> during boot loader installation.
>>
>> During partitioning, I set up both software RAID1 and LVM. After
>> partitioning, I tried to install LILO in the MBR on /dev/md0, but it
>> didn't work. I tried advanced mode and tried /dev/mapper/vg-root as
>> an installation target, but that was invalid, as well.
>>
>> I've seen posts suggesting that this ought to work without a non-LVM /
>> boot partition, so I'm wondering whether this is an issue that's
>> peculiar to sarge on amd64?
>
> If you setup your system like this (quite doable with sarge installer
> last I tried):
>
> /dev/sda1 /dev/md0 /boot (128M or so)
> /dev/sdb1 /dev/md0 /boot (128M or so)
> /dev/sda2 /dev/md1 / (Maybe 10G or whatever makes sense to you)
> /dev/sdb2 /dev/md1 / (Maybe 10G or whatever makes sense to you)
> /dev/sda3 /dev/md2 LVM
> /dev/sdb3 /dev/md2 LVM

I'm using the following:

/dev/sda1 /dev/md0 / (1G but 300MB would be enough)
/dev/sdb1 /dev/md0 / (1G but 300Mb would be enough)
/dev/sdc1 /dev/md1 swap 1G
/dev/sdd1 /dev/md1 swap 1G
/dev/sda2 /dev/md2 LVM
/dev/sdb2 /dev/md2 LVM
/dev/sdc2 /dev/md2 LVM
/dev/sdd2 /dev/md2 LVM

/tmp - tmpfs

/usr, /var, /home, /mnt/data - lvm

I want my /usr, /var and /home on lvm so they can be resized
easily. Debian is constantly growing and I've run out of room several
times already and resized them accordingly.

My / is sized to have the same size as the swap on the other disks so
the raid5 on md2 has 4 equal partitions. This also gives it plenty of
space for growth or multiple kernel versions.

I have the swap on its own so I have a spare partition around that I
can just wipe and e.g. install a rescue system on in case something
goes horribly wrong with the system. I found that helpfull in the
past.

MfG
        Goswin