Re: Networking not working

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:46:26 -0600, "Thomas F. O'Connell"
<tfo@sitening.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Austin (Ozz) Denyer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:54:16 -0600, "Thomas F. O'Connell"
> > <tfo@sitening.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone had any difficulty getting networking going under sarge
> >> amd64?
> >
> > It would help greatly if you could give us some error messages to chew
> > on.
>
> Well, here's what happens:
>
> During installation, it gets to the point where it recognizes and
> displays my three network interfaces. I choose the e100, which has
> traditionally been eth0, as the primary interface. Looking on the Alt-
> F3 virtual console, I see the following lines:
>
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/net/mii.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/net/e100.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
>
> Then, back on the installer console, it tells me that it's going to
> detect DHCP. This fails. There are no further messages or errors on
> the other console other than:
>
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/block/
> floppy.ko
> FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.8-11-amd64-generic/
> kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko): No such device
>
> But that's not related to DHCP detection, is it?

No.

> Then I try to configure the network manually with the IP the box had
> before I attempted to reinstall, along with the local network address
> for the router and the correct netmask. I leave the nameserver blank.

Do you allow the installer to continue anyway?  I had to, and then
finish setting up networking after the reboot.

What does ifconfig show?

> The installer pauses for a bit and then returns with the hostname
> prompt.
>
> Is there any way to determine at this point in the installation
> process whether the network card has been successfully recognized and
> is working? Or to further diagnose why DHCP was not able to be
> autoconfigured? Would expert mode help?

I'd check the output of ifconfig.

Also (and I know this may sound silly) check to make sure that the
network cable is plugged into the right NIC.  If you have three NICs
then they may not be getting assigned the way you think.  Mine swapped
over after installing X/KDE for some reason.

Regards,
Ozz.