Re: 32 bit firefox on amd64 system

Hi Nathan,

* Nathan O. Siemers <nathan@fiveprime.org> [2005-10-30 03:30]:
> Related to recent threads (installation of flash on firefox, etc).  I've
> got a debootstrap ia32 system installed in /emul.  The intent is to
> install firefox (i386) from tarballs at mozilla.org and use it without
> chrooting.

I used the amd64-archive package (still the 0.2 version) to install the
32Bit firefox.

> I got past an initial missing libgtk-x11 library by installing it in the
> /emul area (by chrooting into the /emul/ia32-linux area and running apt)
> and running ldconfig.
>
> The next issue may be tricker - firefox/gtk seems to be looking in an
> exact location for pango libraries, finding the x86-64 versions, and
> failing:
>
> (firefox-bin:18830): Pango-WARNING **:
> /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'
>
> (firefox-bin:18830): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>
> (firefox-bin:18830): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape:
> assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
>
> NOTE: /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so exists on the amd64
> host system.

Pango has a librarypath of it's own, so you have to change this. First
you need the 32Bit Pango libraries (libpango1.0-0 I think) and it's
dependencies. Next you have to make a new modulesfile, I think I've just
copied and changed the /etc/pango/pango.modules to point to the right
ones. But there is also a pango-querymodules which could generate a new
one, but I don't remember how. I placed the new files in the firefox dir
btw. but that's not necessary.
Next you have to make a pangorc with the two lines:

--%<--
[Pango]
ModuleFiles=/path/to/pango.modules
--%<--

and the last thing is to get firefox use this pangorc by doing a

export PANGO_RC_FILE=/path/to/pangorc

before you start it. I did it by adding it into
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox.

> I'm considering some hacking like:  symlinking /emul/ia32-linux to the
> root directory of the ia32 distribution, modifying ld.so.conf (ia32) to
> point only to these symlinked library areas, and running ldconfig (ia32
> chroot).  I have a funny feeling this is not going to work.  Anyone with
> experience with these types of problems: any advice is appreciated.  If
> I have any success I'll let folks know.
>
> Nathan

Jochen

--
diesen tag / begehen / wie einen grund / oder wie ein fest
ohne grund zu einem fest / ohne festen grund