Re: Unofficial amd64 kernel images?

On Thursday, 27.10.2005 at 12:05 +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:

> On 10/27/05, Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > The pre-packaged kernel, kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8, does almost
> > what I want, but the nvidia drivers cannot be compiled against it
> > because there is a conflict between the framebuffer support in that
> > kernel and the nvidia module.  After a lot of work trying to build a
> > suitable kernel myself, I can't see to be able to get it to work, so
> > I've decided to seek out a prebuilt image instead.
>
> Just boot that kernel into text mode, extract the kernel source, copy
> the config file from the installed kernel, do a make oldconfig, and
> you should be ready to compile a new kernel. There were a few changes
> in 2.6.12, but nothing fatal that I could find.

Yes, I've tried that when building a new kernel: see the thread I posted
starting at http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/10/msg00769.html

The short version is that building a 64-bit kernel on a system with a
64-bit kernel and a 32-bit userspace, with a 64-bit chroot for
kernel-building, results in a kernel which doesn't seem to work for me.
I spent a lot of time trying this, hence my quest for a pre-packaged
variant :-)  I'm happy to revisit that route later, if the search for a
pre-package proves fruitless!

> > Googling and search has been unsuccessful: I have been unable to find
> > any other kernel-image-*-amd64-k8 kernels to try: does anyone have any
> > unofficial kernel images that I may try?
>
> Note that kernels are called linux-image-* since 2.6.12! And there is
> most definitely a 2.6.12 around:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8
>
> Recompiling is still a good idea. It makes sure that you have the
> right compiler installed (the one used to build the kernel).

Yes, I agree: I'd prefer to do that, but I've been having difficulties,
which is unfortunate.

Thanks for the above link ...

Dave.
--