Re: Unofficial amd64 kernel images?

On 10/27/05, Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> The pre-packaged kernel, kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8, does almost
> what I want, but the nvidia drivers cannot be compiled against it
> because there is a conflict between the framebuffer support in that
> kernel and the nvidia module.  After a lot of work trying to build a
> suitable kernel myself, I can't see to be able to get it to work, so
> I've decided to seek out a prebuilt image instead.

Just boot that kernel into text mode, extract the kernel source, copy
the config file from the installed kernel, do a make oldconfig, and
you should be ready to compile a new kernel. There were a few changes
in 2.6.12, but nothing fatal that I could find.

> Googling and search has been unsuccessful: I have been unable to find
> any other kernel-image-*-amd64-k8 kernels to try: does anyone have any
> unofficial kernel images that I may try?

Note that kernels are called linux-image-* since 2.6.12! And there is
most definitely a 2.6.12 around:

http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/linux-image-2.6.12-1-amd64-k8

Recompiling is still a good idea. It makes sure that you have the
right compiler installed (the one used to build the kernel).

Thomas