32-Bit module in AMD64-kernel ?

Hi all,

I have a question:

If I have to compile 32-bit module for a 64-bit kernel (like it is in
debian-amd64), I suppose, this will not work, won´t it ?

Background:

I have a wlan-card, type "ipw-2100". It is possible to build a kernel module
for 64bit-amd64-kernel. The problem is, the firmware is not working, as the
firmware is 32-bit. A 32-bit-kernel (tested with knoppix, kantix and whax)
works fine with the same firmware.

So it was my idea, to build this module in 32-bit, as I have read, the kernel
supports both, 32-bit and 64-bit.

But I mean to remember, that someone said, all kernel-modules must be build
just like the kernel itself is build (here it is standard
debian-kernel-amd64)

Is my information correct ? Is there some other kind of compiling the module ?

Is this (maybe) a bug ? (Information: the ipw-2100-module loads fine WITHOUT
firmware , as soon, I copy the firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmwae and load
the ipw-2100-module, the whole system hangs up).

BTW: I tried ndiswrapper, this will not work either.....

Best regards

Hans