Re: Problem installing debian amd-64 on a HP

your mboard likely as pata and sata connectors

if you have sata raid just turn it off. its most likely
a phat lie and all it is is a bios hack to load from
software RAID'd drives. it boots then hands over to the
cpu. in terms of performance etc there is no reason not
to just turn it off and use pure linux software raid
(which is what i do and what is recommended). that said
i have seen ways to get it working 'properly', but like
i said its a tad pointless and very decieving.

anyway
just turn of 'sata raid' in the bios completely.

also you could try turning off sata and seeing what happens
and just turning stuff off in general...

try the official daily cdimages
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/amd64/

or completely
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/amd64/current/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

ive givent up completely on the 'stable' installer cds as im a testing whore and it saves me installing then promptly updating everything. so
i start 98% bleeding edge rather than 20%

Dean

Andreas wrote:
Hi,
   I've got a HP DX5150 which needs to have Linux
   installed on it, but it wasn't as easy as I thought.
   I'm using Len Sorensen's sarge installer with the 2.6.12 kernel,
   downloaded from http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/.
I haven't been able to get a dump from lspci, but here is what HP
   says about the unit:

   # AMD Athlon. 64 or Sempron
   # ATI Radeon® XPRESS 200 chipset
   # ATI Radeon 9600 integrated graphics . standard VGA and DVI-D ports
   # Supports up to 4-GB of PC 3200 (DDR 400) Synch DRAM Memory
   # 6 rear USB 2.0 ports and 2 front USB 2.0 ports
   # Realtek AC97 integrated audio with internal speaker
   # Integrated PCI-E Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-64287-89301-321860-f49-457124.html

   Problem:
   The installation hangs when it is at 100% of the detecting hardware
   part. I can at that moment switch back and forth between the
   consoles for a couple of minutes, then the whole system freezes and I
   have to hardboot.

   This is how I did it:
   When the installation starts I switch to console 2 and modprobes
   sata-uli, ahci and sata_sil. The log said it found my hard
   drive so I thought everything was ok. I continue with the
   installation, and again, the whole installation stops at 100% when detecting the
   hardware. Before the system froze I looked at the log console and it
   said it's searching for the installation media, and before that an
   error message claiming it can't find ide-mod, ide-probe-mod and
   ide-detect. And then it freezes.
In the BIOS configuration I have only 3 options to choose from
   regarding the sata controller and I've tried all of them:

   * sata disabled
   * IDE (Which I presume is IDE emulation)
   * RAID

   Any suggestions what to try now?

   Regards
   Andreas