Re: Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

On 10/6/05, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:17:14AM +0200, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Nonwhistanding this experience, I have
> to tell that, when I made a very serious effort to install debian-amd64
> on a new shiny laptop, I had the hardest time Debian gave me since the
[...]
I have an nForce3-based Athlon64 desktop system and the installation was
perfect. I suspect my scenario is far more common than yours.

I do not thing that blaming the user is a helpful approach. Anyway, this thread and others show that Debian amd64 is not currently suitable for newbies: the risk of encountering serious installation issues is just too high.

> In contrast, putting an Ubuntu (amd64 5.10 preview) CD in the drive and
> installing took me one hour (two to get some fine-tuning working)...

Same experience here, on several systems (both i386 and amd64).

My real point was though that your Ubuntu advocacy is misplaced.
I don't care if you use Ubuntu, but this is a Debian list.

This thead is not about Ubuntu advocacy, it is about problems users have with Debian amd64. If Ubuntu works better, than maybe it points toward the solution? I agree with Helge here: just as Ubuntu benefits tremendously from Debian, this could also go the other way round.

Thomas