Re: Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

Hamish Moffat wrote :
>> And you might want to give Ubuntu a try. The amd64 version is quite
>
> How nice of you to say so on the debian-amd64 list! More like how
> insulting...

Dear Hamish,

I am not a total newbie in using Linux or Debian (I must still have e set of floppies bearing ham, in the same box where lies my treasured two-floppies linux 0.12 lies...). Nonwhistanding this experience, I have to tell that, when I made a very serious effort to install debian-amd64 on a new shiny laptop, I had the hardest time Debian gave me since the time some idiot messed with PAM modules in unstable, locking hundreds of unstable users out of their machines... In detail

The debian-amd64 netboot disk installs a kernel (2.6.8) that does not support my hard disk controller, failing back to IDE PIO mode, of all things ! I had to first install development packages, kernel sources, a decent editor and recompile and install a new kernel. At PIO rates, I'll let you guess how much time I needed... Icing on the cake : the old kernel did not support keyboard properly, and I had to hack something at boot time.

The curent tasksel insists on an X version that does not support my hardware either (ATI X700). I had no choice but to install XFree, *then* upgrading to xorg.

Then it turned out that my new, shiny kernel did support my touchpad, but only when unloaded then reloaded. Yent another hack to do (playing with modules ==> yet another kernel...).

Then, and only then, I hade a useable system ... with no openoffice. I had to install a chroot and grab a $#-+load of ia32 packages to do that.

All of this took me two days. And require a load of previous Linux and Debian knowledge. Yet, all of this was deemed as "obvious" by the Debian Ordained Developers (TM).

In contrast, putting an Ubuntu (amd64 5.10 preview) CD in the drive and installing took me one hour (two to get some fine-tuning working)... The one thing I had to sweat on was Wine (I still have to read some .mdb databases, inf*cluding forms and reports) : I had to install a chroot.

Since I am interested in *USING* a computer (biostatistics and stats algorithms development + desktop apps overhead), I decided to keep Ubuntu for the time being...

So, while Debian remains my tool of choice, its current amd64 incarnation *CANNOT* be given to Linux newbies. Ubuntu almost can.

[ Donning asbestos longjohns... ]

I'd like to add a general comment on Debian : while it is, IMHO, the best Free Software distribution available, its useability is somewhat spoiled by two factors : - "Die-hard hackers", who seem unable to understand that recompiling a kernel is *not* something the average end-user (or even the average engineer more interested in engineering than tuning his tool) will do if it can be avoided at all... Ditto for xorg.conf hacking, ditto for cdrecord anomaly, ditto for ... (well, I won't make the list). - "Holier than Stallman" Free Software bigots, who object at anything not GPL, unable to understand the value of a temporary compromise... (e. g. refusing to provide a pointer to libdvdcss in totem or xine docs) While the latter factor seem to dwindle a bit these days (their latter effort to have non-free removed from Debian servers seems to have failed for good), the first one still remains a problem. Not much, I agree, but those quirks are irritating.

[ Off longjohns. Pfew ... ]

So the point made by T. Steffens seems quite valid to me. I tend to think that, if something is "insulting", it is the currend usability of Debian-AMD64 on modern hardware by newbies/end-users/non-hackers...

					Emmanuel Charpentier
					Steaming off...
--
Emmanuel Charpentier			charpent@bacbuc.dyndns.org