Re: Alsa Problems with nforce4 AC97

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:18:42AM -0500, Mike wrote:
> i'm using the intel driver with my gigabyte nforce4 board.  Sound is
> usually ok, but.
>
> 1.  /dev/dsp only allows one process.  I thought alsa dmixed this?

No alsa CAN dmix things, if you configure that in .asoundrc.  See
www.alsa-project.org for info on setting up a software mixer in
asoundrc.

> 2.  I get alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.135 msecs. resetting stream when
> using mplayer

I have never looked into what those messages mean.

> 3.  esound runs very badly, crashes when i turn it on in sound preferences
> in gnome.

You mean esound ever runs well?

> 4. totem-gstreamer is out of sync when playing mp4/mp3 videos.
>
> I've tried setting multimedia system to esd, oss, and alsa with no avail.
> The only fix I found for mplayer was to use -ao alsa:mmap
>
> Any ideas?  I'm using the latest sid.

Not sure really.  The only machine I actually use sound on has an sb
live, which of course has hardware mixing of many many channels and has
no such problems.