Re: remove unwanted modules

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:06:44PM -0500, Marc DM wrote:
> Actually, I wanted to know just for knowing purposes.
>
> The other reason I wanted to know is because I'm using Debian with a
> single Opteron246 to create a router to handle traffic between 4 vlans
> and the internet. So I wanted to make sure that I didn't have any
> modules in there that might be a potential security threat nor any that
> would degrade performance solely due to its presence.

Unused modules on disk won't hurt performance any more than 50000 jpegs
on the drive does.  It just takes diskspace that is all.

Modules usually only get loaded if there is a piece of hardware present
that requires it.  Or some program requires a certain feature.

As for security, well unless someone is already root they can't load
modules, so I can't really see much chance of a security problem.