Re: remove unwanted modules

On 09/21/05 12:24:06AM -0500, Marc DM wrote:
> Stupid questions :
>
> How can I find out which modules my system actually needs and disable
> the ones I don't need.
>
> How can I know if a module I'm disabling at startup isn't needed for
> another module that I plan to load?
>
> Thanks. And I won't ask anymore stupid questions for the rest of the week.

But why do you want to do this? A full modules directory in /lib/`uname -r`
only takes up ~40M. And who knows when you'll plug in some new USB device
or something and wish you had that module handy.

The only way you're going to get an accurate list is if you know what all
of the modules are used for. And stripping out the modules with a 0
reference count won't be enough, for instance ide-cd currently has a ref
count of 0 on this machine because there's no disc mounted. Hmmm and
somehow tulip has a ref count of 0 as well even though I know I'm using
that NIC...

Anyway, you'll pretty much have to go through the lsmod output and run
modinfo on each module and decide whether it's important enough to keep or
not.

> Regards,
>
> Marc DM

Jim.