Re: amaroK: No engine works

--- Johannes Klug <debian-amd64@joyware.de> wrote:

> Am I the only one having problems with amaroK?
> Sometimes it crashes after selecting an engine,
> sometimes it appears to
> "hang", and it does not play a single note all of
> the time.

No, you're not the only one.  My amarok has been
giving me grief as well.  I used to use the xine
engine, which worked like a dream, now that's entirely
broken and I must use the gstreamer engine, which,
imo, is dreadfully slow.  Track changes take a few
seconds.

> Any advice for me?

Here's the best I can do, as I'm also a bit confused
by amarok's wretched behavior:

QUICK SOLUTION:
killall amarokapp
rm ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc
rm -rf ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok
restart amarok -- set the engines as you wish.

repeat until you find an engine that works.

SAFE SOLUTION:
killall amarokapp

then, some ideas ->

modify ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc to use another
engine, keep trying other options until you find one
that works.

strace amarok -- watch debugging output (wasn't very
helpful for me, but it's a thought)

rm ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/xine-config
I had to do this a few times, as the xine config was
corrupt (or something) causing amarok to bomb.

HTH

> Thank you!
> Johannes

You're welcome.