Re: Acer Turion laptops

On 8/19/05, Frank <hugelmopf@web.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 20:42 schrieb Frederik Schueler:
> > Yeah, I did something similar, additionally the initscript does a
> >
> > echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> >
> > to make the fan shut up ;-)
>
> Speaking of this, I have to add a short question: Does the ondemand governor
> mean, that I do not need a userspace tool (like "powernowd") anymore for
> scaling the processor frequency? Sounds like a much cleaner solution to me,
> so if this is the case, I'd like to switch to it.

Yes, but the problem with ondemand is that it cannot distinguish if
your ac adapter is connected or not, and so you cannot modify its
policy as for example having always maximum speed pf the processor
when the ac adapter is connected.
You can also consider using the 'conservative' governor, that is
optimized for a battery powered environment and solves the problem of
the latency in transitions between maximum ad minimum frequency in
amd64 cpu's.