Re: Acer Turion laptops

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:09:51PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> I have an acer wmli5024 and hardware support is in pretty bad shape:
>
> ACPI is a mess (no battery status! (great for a laptop) nor thermal,
> only AC and buttons)
>
> the keyboard starts working after a few key strokes
>
> the touchpad is only recognised after rmmodding and modprobing psmouse
> again
>
> the 2.6.8 based installer did not recognise the ati chipset, thus no UDMA
> (formatting 40G took one hour, installation was painfully slow with long
> disk sync intervals)
>
> the ati X700 is not recognised by XFree86 4.3, you have to mess with
> proprietary drivers - or use latest Xorg from unstable (no 3D
> acceleration then, though).

Which kernel has support for ATI chipsets if any?  Could be another good
test case for my unofficial 2.6.12 amd64 sarge netinst image.

> In summary this thing was a mispurchase, the first and last time I bought
> something ATI based.

You mean you didn't know about ATI already?  It is very rare to see
someone recomend ATI for linux use.  It is common to see people tell you
to stay far away from it.  The drivers just aren't that good, if they
exist at all.