Re: RAID controllers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:59:07PM +0200, Mickael Marchand wrote:
> well my experience with 3ware 8xxx tells the exact contrary,
> their RAID5 sucks as hell. With 2 of these cards with many new Maxtor
> drives, I was changing a hard drive every week !
> I won't tell you how many times it totally broke after a hard drive
> failure. It never was able to reconstruct a working array after a failure.
> Even 3ware developers were unable to help me , though we had long mails
> for testing stuff.
> I also stopped counting _hard_ freeze crash after the 2nd week
> (especially on amd64...).
>
> since, I switched to linux software raid5 and raid6 over Sil3114
> chipsets and 3ware cards recycled in JBOD mode (passthrough mode), I
> have changed two disks in 6 months and it went smoothly.

Certainly sounds weird.  Many other people swear by the 3ware cards.  I
have also talked to people that say they just use them as very nice high
port count sata controllers and run md raid on them to get the fastest
performance.

> their own raid is probably not recommended,
> linux software raid works like a charm over it. (using raid6 and 5 at work).

Well anything you can treat as just an ide/sata controller is always
nice as long as the drivers for for it in linux.

> my (own and personal) conclusion is that 3ware's cards (and probably no
> single hard raid card) beats linux software implementation both in
> stability and performance.

Given modern cpu speeds, I suspect that is probably true.

Personally I run md raid1.

My experience with IBM ServeRaid 4 cards is not impresive performance
wise.