Re: Installation problems.

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 12:08:19PM +0100, Johan Groth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've have a dual Opteron system (MB Tyan 2885) which has a Broadcom
> ethernet interface (the infamous tg3 driver). I've also installed a SATA
> raid card (a very nice LSI 300-8x, uses the megaraid_mbox driver).
>
> My problem is this: how on earth do I install Debian on this system?
>
> If I boot unstable netinst I get ethernet working but not the raid
> system. Apparently a 2.6.11 kernel or newer is required for that. But
> Debian has removed the tg3 driver in that kernel. Seems to me that I can
> one or the other but not both.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

Install a network card in a pci slot that doesn't require a driver with
binary firmware to operate, install with 2.6.11 kernel using some
netinst that has that, then build a new kernel with all the options you
want, or use the bcm5700 package to build a driver for your card using
the normal debian 2.6.11 kernel.

Len Sorensen