Re: AMD 64 Stability on Asus A8v Deluxe

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

       1) kernel compilation test with the following script:

#!/bin/tcsh
# ramtest
#
  make ARCH=i386 bzImage
   foreach i (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
     foreach j (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
      foreach k (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
       ( make clean;make ARCH=i386 bzImage  > log."$i"$j$k ) >&
log.err."$i"$j$k
     end
   end
 end

       I must end up with 1000 identical Logfiles

Which RAM parameters do you use?

With the same board and Corsair RAM (given for 2-3-3-6 for P4 and 2.5-3-3-6 for athlon64), I was working in 32bit with 2 instead of 2.5 for the CAS, but I had to set it to 2.5 in 64 bit.

Maybe you have to relax a bit your timings?

I've corsair DDR in dual channel
I've left the burst to its highest value

I use 2.5-3-3-6-1T

2.5 is CAS
3 is tRCD
3 is tRP
6 is tRAS
1T command rate (Disabled for 1T, Enabled for 2T)

I have tried 2x 1GByte Infineon CL2.5 DDR 400 without success, then I switched to 4 x takeMS PC3200 CL3 which used
to run in single Athlon 2000+ Cube PCs for long without a problem.

I took your advice and made the following settings:

3-4-4-8-1T

1T would not even boot so ich switched here to AUTO and had

3 for CAS 4 for tRCD
4 for tRP
8 for tRAS

but, alas, the result is as devastating as ever, i/o tar test and kernel compile test runs fine
with kernel 2.6.8 686, when I switch to 2.6.11 amd64 k8 it crashes the
machine within 10 minutes.

The processor is an athlon 3500+
It runs at nominal voltage/frequency. But I've not left on 'auto' the parameters because this card has a nasty auto-overclocking feature.

I have the athlon 3200+ and as you I noticed that booting sometimes stops due to a message that "Auto Overclocking failed" although nobody tried to overclock, so I
switched here to manual settings as well.

Jean-Luc, you said you have the same mainboard. What other hardware
do you use? Maybe I can change the grafic card or give up the software raid to get a stable 64 bit system. I would like to encourage other members of this list with an Asus A8V motherboard to report about there configuration so that I finally can
find a way to tell if I have a defect mainboard or an exotic hardware
composition problem.

I've :
2 SATA Maxtor disks on the VIA chipset, software RAID1
1 IDE DVD burner Pioneer 108
1 Asus Radeon A9250/TD (AGP)

I have an old Riva TNT2 MX 64 32 meg and changed it for
an even older S3Trio64 PCI becaused I suspected the Nvida
to be a 3V AGP card but that changed nothing.

I disabled all onboard IDE and used a Promise TX2000 PCI
IDE Card for my 2x300 GByte MD Raid but that changed nothing as well
(allthough I had the feeling that the system lived a bit longer than usually, i.e. 20 instead
of 10 min.)

The BIOS is 1013

Remark : I have had problems with the graphic mode and some machine check, even in 32 bit with the previous BIOS. 1009 was "just" working, it was imposible to have a graphical session with 1011 and 1012, there is a fix about AGP in 1013.

I have Bios 1013 as you and up to now I did not try the beta BIOS that can be found on the Asus server.

As mentioned earlier I am waiting for a delivery of 4 x 512 Kingston
Value RAM from the Asus manual's compatibility list.

If that failes too I have to assume that the board is defect. But can
a board be defect in a way that the k8 64 bit kernel crashes and the
686 32 bit kernel works properly?
Seems very strange to me.

Best Regards

Matthias Wenthe

Dr. Matthias Wenthe
IMS GmbH                                Kreuzbreite 15a
		                        D-31675 Bueckeburg
                                       Germany
                                       wenthe@ims.de
                                       Tel: ..49.5722.892417