Re: Almost there

Mike Reinehr wrote:

Gary,

On Monday 18 July 2005 03:31 pm, Gary Hodges wrote:
Frederik Schueler wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:22PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
Make sure your boot-loader loads the initrd along with the kernel.

There's no question that the initd is being loaded. That is what is giving you the error message. All the drivers necessary to mounting the HD have been loaded and it is attempting to mount the root partition and switch to it.

Thanks for the reply.  I just went through the boot steps by hand and
I'm fairly sure initrd has been loaded.  Here is what one of my grub
menu options looks like:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
initrd /initrd.img
savedefault
boot

There is something funny there though.  root is actually on sda1.  Also
the savedefault command doesn't work when running those commands
manually.  When I step through each command manually, changing to sda1
obviously, everything looks fine to me (with the exception of
savedefault responding with a command not found error).

When I edit the command to change sda2 to sda1, upon reboot it has been
changed back to sda2.  All attempts to boot the machine result in the

When you boot and receive the GRUB boot menu, use the cursor key to go down or up to highlight the boot option you've quoted above. (This also will stop the clock.) Then press 'e' to edit the boot entry. Once there, cursor down to the kernel line and again press 'e' to edit the line, changing 'root=/dev/sda2' to 'root=/dev/sda1'. Hit 'esc' to exit the line and then press 'b' to boot. If your root file system is, in fact, located on /dev/sda1 then you should be able to successfully boot.

My mistake. My root file system / is actually sda2. I checked some other machines and slash is what this root refers to. I won't call this a moot point, but it doesn't matter if it is set to sda1 or sda2 as I get the same results.
If all else fails, you might have to boot off of a Knoppix cd & rerun grub-install.

I have booted off a knoppix CD and tried running grub-install. For kicks I just went through the procedure again. Here are the steps performed while booted under Knoppix:

root@1[knoppix]# grub-install /dev/sda
Due to a bug in xfs_freeze, the following command might produce a segmentation fault when /boot/grub is not in an XFS filesystem. This error is harmless and
can be ignored.
xfs_freeze: specified file ["/boot/grub"] is not on an XFS filesystem
Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

root@1[knoppix]# grub
   GNU GRUB  version 0.95  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
  lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
  completions of a device/filename. ]

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/menu
.lst"... succeeded
Done.

Gary